Native American Pottery
Native American pottery such as the well known southwest Indian pottery of New Mexico can be fine works of Indian art or primitive and utilitarian in design. Tarahumara pottery is made of rough earthen clay in white, orange and brown. Rather than being polished and smooth Indian pottery, Tarahumara Indian pottery is rustic and still made as it has been for generations. We have come upon antique Indian pottery pieces, pitchers, bowls and clay pots.
It is a thrill to hold an old piece of Indian pottery and to imagine the lives and times it has experienced. Among the Tarahumara Indians, those Indian pottery makers make pottery with ancient pottery traditions that they in turn give to their children. Unlike the Mata Ortiz phenomenon, it is Indian women potters who make Tarahumara Indian pottery.
Native American Pottery Categories:
- Etched Navajo & Pueblo Indian Pottery
- Hand Painted Andean Indian Pottery
- Mata Ortiz Pottery Painted Pottery
- Native American Navajo Horse Hair Pottery
- Native American Navajo Pottery
- Rainbow Etched Horse Hair Navajo Pottery
- Native American Sioux Indian Pottery
- Native American Pueblo Pottery
- Tarahumara Indian & Mexican Pottery
- Native American Wedding Vases